This is a panoramic view of the Whipple property as taken from the north steps of the state capitol building. The 200 feet tall hill, called Constitution Hill in the literature of the time, in back of the long apartment building, the site of Captain John's property, was owned by him until his death in 1685. His land, which extended back over the hill for approximately one half mile, encompassed over 20 acres with an additional 24 or so of grazing land. Immediately after moving his family to Providence he also bought an additional 200 acres in adjoining areas. In front of the property was a dirt path named Town Street (later Main) that still runs along side a stream called the Moshassuck River--at the bottom of the ravine.