This photo shows the present state of the 175 or so yards, along the east side of north Main Street, of the original land bought by Captain John Whipple in 1659. This single row of 16 apartments was recently constructed by digging back into the hill itself. Because the hill is so steep (45 degrees) the second floor doors let out in to the backyard. John's house stood about 50 yards from the south end of the complex (to the right of the photo). The house stood about where the street in front now runs. The ascending street to the right is Star Street where Whipple Hall (school) was located. John Whipple Junior's house stood at this intersection. The street to the left is Mill Street on which the John and Sarah Smith (Captain John's oldest daughter) gristmill was located, as well as John Whipple Junior's famous tavern.
Compare this photo with a photo of the same area in 1912.